Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sunday Feb. 22nd

Today's Lesson:
We enjoyed a great lesson today from sister Kelli Elldridge! She helped us remember the blessings that come as we love and accept those around us despite our differences. The message came from Elder Dallin H. Oaks talk "Loving Others and Living With Differences." 
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/loving-others-and-living-with-differences?lang=eng

Upcoming Events:

March 1st: "Food Drive Fast Sunday"- Next Sunday we will be collecting non-perisable kid friendly breakfast and lunch food items for the Jemtegaard Middle School Weekend Backpack program.  This is a program that supports local children who do not have enough to eat on the weekends when they are away from school.  The school social worker identifies the children in need and sends them home on Friday with a bag filled with breakfast and lunch for Saturday and Sunday as well as a few snacks and fresh fruits.  You can help support these children by donating food items such as:
Oatmeal, Cereal, Almond Milk, Cereal Bars, Mac n Cheese, Peanut Butter, Jelly, Ramen, Ravioli, Fruit Cups, Applesauce, Pudding, Granola Bars, Dried fruit, Nuts, Crackers, etc.  
Please bring these items to church next Sunday or arrange to give them to any member of the presidency during the week.

March 12th 6:00pm Relief Society Activity: Women of Faith Progressive Dinner!  Please join us for a wonderful evening filled with delicious dinner, amazing testimonies and great sisterhood!  We will travel through our progressive dinner and meet different women of faith from times past.  It promises to be a night to remember!  

This is the last week of February!  Please make sure you spend some time with the wonderful sisters you visit teach! 

Women of Faith: Feb. 22-28
Memorize: Mosiah 2:17 "
"And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom ; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."

Read: 
Learning to Cherish Visiting Teaching
By Jane McBride Choate, Ensign March 1995
For many years I envisioned visiting teachers as older women who delivered casseroles to each other. Not eager to enter that world, I reluctantly accepted my first visiting teaching assignment to visit four sisters in my BYU ward. The sisters I visited seemed as uncomfortable as I was, and I was relieved when visits ended early.

Shortly after I was married, I again was called to be a visiting teacher. I wondered what I could teach these sisters, who seemed so secure in their families and homes. When my visiting teaching partner, a 65-year-old widow, asked me to give the message, I stumbled through it—my gaze never leaving the manual.

My attitude gradually softened as I watched my visiting teaching partner prepare for each visit by praying that we would be able to discern the needs of the sisters we taught. The idea that these sisters, so outwardly radiant and successful, might have problems intrigued me. Although I began to look at them differently, my ideas about visiting teaching remained relatively unchanged.

During my next encounter with visiting teaching, I was assigned to visit four sisters, and I was determined to be the “perfect” visiting teacher. I gave the prepared message, visited early in the month, and brought cookies and cakes, birthday treats, and Christmas gifts.

But the feelings of sisterhood I had expected didn’t materialize, and I blamed the visiting teaching program. If only I were assigned to visit women whose circumstances matched my own, if only the sisters appreciated the time and effort I spent in visiting them, if only …

These new feelings went unchanged for several years. I still tried to visit with promptness and enthusiasm. However, I paid scant attention to the needs of the sisters. All of my energy was devoted to meeting what I perceived as the requirements of a visiting teacher. I doubled my efforts—I remembered not only the sisters’ birthdays but also those of their children. I tended their children and arranged meals at the arrival of a new baby.

Again I questioned why I didn’t feel the promised rewards. Frightened by sisters with whom I had little in common, I avoided close relationships with them. Besides, I rationalized, visiting teaching took time away from my family. It required patience to juggle schedules and involved finding baby-sitters for my children.

When I was assigned to visit Ann, a widow in her sixties, I grumbled once more. After all, I thought, how could I expect to feel a commitment to someone who was so different from me? How could I possibly develop a lasting friendship with a woman who was twice my age and no longer had small children at home?

But I soon discovered that she and I shared an offbeat sense of humor, one that often baffled others. As we learned more about each other, our friendship grew. Both computer illiterate, we struggled to learn word processing together. We cried together when she was diagnosed with cancer.

I no longer tried to be the “perfect” visiting teacher—I was too busy being Ann’s friend. It was a friendship that endured until several years later when she died.

Through visiting Ann I learned what I had lacked in my other visiting teaching assignments—love. I now try to share love and sisterhood with those I visit. I no longer fear differences—I appreciate them.

I’ve learned that the composition of visiting teaching is much like that of a symphony. The common melody of the gospel allows us to harmonize. However, the differences among us create an exquisite counterpoint, one all the more beautiful for its occasional unexpectedness. As each strain of the symphony is heard, a common theme emerges—one of love and compassion among sisters, strengthening each other and bringing us closer to our Heavenly Father.
(Jane McBride Choate serves as a ward librarian in the Big Thompson Ward, Greeley Colorado Stake.)
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1995/03/learning-to-cherish-visiting-teaching?lang=eng&query=learning+to+cherise+visiting

No comments: