I have been gone, and then under the weather, then working - etc. I have missed several Sunday Scribbles, and am going to try to give you all the quick recap of many of the wonderful messages we have been blessed with over the last few weeks. By the way, any sister in our ward should feel free to email me with any thoughts they would like to share about our Relief Society meetings and lessons - I'd love to have guest bloggers!
The first Sunday in June Jennifer McDonald gave a beautiful lesson called "A Circle of Sisters." She was very nervous -- she shouldn't be! Jennifer, you are a wonderful teacher, and the spirit was there.
We are all part of a divinely organized organization. We have the ability to use our combined power for great things within our families, the church, our communities, and the world. The Relief Society motto is: Charity Never Faileth. Jennifer related the R.S. insignia to our circle of sisters - the R.S. organization is the circle itself, and the members of the R.S. are in the center of the circle, together.
I was thinking when she said that of the match stick trick. If you take a single match, it is very easy to snap it right in half. If you take 5 match sticks, hold them together -- it's almost impossible (for me) to break them, because together they are stronger than they are separate.
Many sisters shared experiences where sisters in the Relief Society, including visiting teachers, have been instrumental in their lives. One sister mentioned a previous experience where her time in Relief Society didn't feel as welcoming as it should have. But she let us know that our R.S. is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I couldn't agree more. I just love every single one of you, and I would be comfortable asking for help here. (OK, that's not really true. I hate to ask for help, and avoid it at all costs. But... If I were someone who asked for help, I would definitely feel comfortable asking for that help from the sisters in our ward.)
Jennifer ended her lesson by reminding us that we need to have Charity of the Heart--to resist the impulse to categorize ourselves or others, to not take offense easily, and to remember to speak kindly of others in our homes. These are very good reminders, and honor the spirit of Relief Society.
* * *
On June 17 Megan Busschau treated us to chocolate for Father's Day, since it was the sisters, after all, who baked the pies for the Fathers!
Megan gave a beautiful lesson about receiving revelation for ourselves, our families, and sometimes for those others that we have spiritual stewardship over. There were many experiences shared by the sisters. Some of the notes I wrote were:
Never give up your right to receive revelation for any earthly reward. We can remain worthy to by keeping the commandments, saying our prayers, and remaining worthy to have the spirit with us.
I loved the analogy of the prophet as being the pilot of a plane carrying passengers (us). He has radar contact with the ground, and keeps the plane on the safe path. If we follow the pilot and trust in him, we will safely reach our ultimate destination. This is how revelation for the church is received.
When we are in uncharted territory in our own lives, the Holy Ghost functions as our radar, and we can follow the beam of the spirit into safe waters.
Megan reminded us each of Pres. Uchtdorf's words: Be Strong and of good courage. You are truly royal spirit daughters of almighty God. You are princesses destined to become queens. Yoru own wondrous story has already begun. Your once upon a time is NOW.
* * *
On June 24 Shayla Pierce gave a beautiful lesson from a talk by M. Russell Ballard "That the Lost May Be Found". I was particularly touched by Bonnie Pace's call to the sisters in our ward to "remember to pray for our visiting teaching sisters every day."
The lost can be a family member, a friend, and sometimes we may be lost ourselves. Reaching out for a lifeline is important, but not everyone is able to do that for themselves. I was emotionally lost when we moved to Washougal 10 years ago. Gloria Batchelor, Julie Dayley, Kathy Clark, and Jennifer Johnson each threw me a lifeline and reeled me back into the fold. I don't know what I would have done without those 4 sisters at that moment in my life. I hope that I would have pulled myself up by the bootstraps and just 'got a grip' - but who knows? I am very thankful that I didn't have to find out.



No comments:
Post a Comment