Saturday, January 21, 2012

Charity In Action

I was looking over the January visiting teaching message again today, and had one of those "Ah Ha!" moments. 

“Visiting teaching becomes the Lord’s work when our focus is on people rather than percentages,” explains Julie B. Beck, Relief Society general president. “In reality, visiting teaching is never finished. It is more a way of life than a task. Faithfully serving as a visiting teacher is evidence of our discipleship.”

It explains that visiting teaching is more than an act of service, it's an act of Charity.  Charity is then defined as of an act of Faith.  Here's how I interpret this:

When we are visiting sisters in the ward in an official capacity in the gospel (visiting teaching), we are literally about the Lord's business for Him.  We are his eyes, his hands, and his feet at that time -- lifting and serving those sisters in His stead.  So, when we are performing this service, we are exercising our Faith in the existence and divinity of the Savior.  This elevates the act of Visiting Teaching from a wonderful act of service to a witness of our faith in Christ. 

I have shared previously my experience this past year receiving a new visiting teacher (Sister Kanekoa) who I did not know that well.  I was struggling with a very heavy heart and had been praying for some comfort as well as guidance in a particular area of my life for some time without receiving an answer or particular relief.  One evening, my visiting teachers came to see me.  Out of the blue, Sister Kanekoa shared a very personal family experience with me that was a direct answer to my prayers and provided me with great comfort. 

How did she know?  She didn't, and sharing that experience may not have seemed particularly powerful to her at all.  But my Savior does know me, and she was in tune with the spirit -- and ministered in His stead.  This was a life changing experience for me and one that I really needed to have. 

I have never really thought of Charity being defined as an act of Faith.  Those acts are then not really mine, but His. 

No comments: